Saturday, November 26, 2016

Stringing Barbed Wire


Not many photos this week. But we had a good Thanksgiving. Got to see a lot of family and too much food!
We are still in a severe drought, but we have rain in the weather forecast. Channel 3340 in Birmingham Alabama has forecast thunderstorms for Tuesday night and Wednesday morning. That should help a lot. I just hope they don’t get too bad.  That is why you have to be careful what you pray for.

Darcy and I started stringing barbed wire last Tuesday . We both got a good lesson on the sharpness of the barbs. Anyway here's a look at what we got done:




By the time we got that little bit done we were give out. After 2 strokes and open heart surgery I have to keep stopping for air, and maybe the fact  that I am getting older might not be helping . I never liked to hear someone poor mouth themselves so we will move on to something else.
  
 I can hardly wait till we get some animals to put in our little pasture, I am sure Darcy feels the same. Not to long ago we had a couple of pygmy goats and several chickens. But we really weren't set up to take care of them so we sold them. There is a goat auction close by that sells goats and chickens. It won't be hard to find more. I also have a close friend that lives close by that raises chickens and a few hogs. In fact, he has given Darcy and me a pig. I really feel bad about taking it. This has been a hard summer for us and I haven't helped with the feed the way I should have. He does a super job with his animals. They are healthy and robust looking he says I got him started with the chickens but the fact is I never took as good a care of ours the way he does his.
We have a critter problem . Darcy and I love all animals, but we have what I call devil squirrels,  these squirrels will get in the tree above and through pinecones at you. Last year they ate a hole in almost every peach on our trees and the little suckers love figs too. I wouldn't mind them getting one or two but they take a bite out of everyone on the tree, a bit much. And now it seems that we have a rabbit that likes to wonder around in the back yard and triggers the security lights. We really have no wish to kill the squirrels or the rabbit so we have set live traps. Now I can relocate them. But first I must catch them.       
 



These are some traps I got at Tractor Supply a couple years ago.

No comments: